Carrot Cake for One

Is this not the cutest cake you have ever seen?? It’s a carrot cake for one person, and not only is it cute: it tastes amazing! And it is totally legitimate breakfast food. You could also use it as a snack or dessert.

With spring in the air, my mind was on carrot cake. I have several carrot-cake-inspired recipes on my list of recipe ideas, but a THM:E single-serve carrot cake won out. It turned out even better than I had hoped it would, and I had so much fun photographing it.

In my family, the cake that is always requested for birthday celebrations or other events is a Carrot Cake. I’m totally fine with that request because I happen to love carrot cake too.


A few months ago, for my son’s 20th birthday, I made a non-traditional style carrot cake for him. I say it was non-traditional because I normally make a two-layer carrot cake with a cream cheese filling between the layers. This time, I baked the cake in a pretty bundt pan. I also topped the cake with a orange glaze very similar to the one I use in my Lemon Grapefruit Cake and since I think all carrot cakes need a cream cheese frosting, I made the cream cheese frosting a little lighter and spooned it over the top of the cake after it baked.

I do have a full-size carrot cake recipe here on my blog (and in my cookbook), but it’s not exactly a traditional carrot cake. More like carrot bars. It’s really good, but I do plan to make a more authentic carrot cake at some point. If given the choice, would you rather see a carrot cake recipe that fits a THM:S or E fuel type?


While I was making my son’s cake, I kept thinking about ways to create a single serving version of my carrot cake or at the very least, a smaller sized cake which would serve two or three people. I promised myself I would work on this cake recipe very soon.

You Need:

  • 1/4 cup spelt, white, or Bob’s gf flour
  • just over 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • optional 1/2 tsp ener-g or 2 tsp flaxmeal, to help it rise more
  • 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, unrefined if desired, or xylitol for sugar-free
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 more tbsp sugar
  • 1/3 cup canned carrots, drained (or steamed carrots, peeled) (For a variation, sub with 1/4c pureed pumpkin) (60g)
  • 1 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1 tbsp oil OR more milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Method:

  1. Carrot Mug Cake Recipe: In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients (not carrots). If you have a blender or Magic Bullet, mix all wet ingredients and blend. (For those without a blender, simply fork-mash the carrots very well before combining with the other wet ingredients.) Then mix dry into wet, and stir.  Pour into greased ramekins or a little dish or mug. (I used two 1/2-cup ramekins.) If using the microwave, cook for 1 minute 20 seconds (or more or less, depending on the strength of your microwave). Or you can cook this in the oven at 350F for around 15 minutes. Let cool before trying to pop out. Serves 1-2. Scroll to the end of this post for a frosting recommendation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOFT-BAKED CHRISTMAS SPRINKLE COOKIES

NUTELLA MUG CAKE

RANCH CHICKEN RECIPE