Low-Carb Crustless Taco Pie

This Low-Carb Crustless Taco Pie is a spicy crustless quiche. It’s loaded with ground beef that is spiced up with taco seasoning, green onions, cheese, and salsa. Top it with whatever you like on your tacos–sour cream, guacamole, diced tomatoes, chopped onions, or whatever else you love.

My favorite thing about this taco pie is how easy it is to make. Just brown some ground beef and add some spices. Stir this into an egg mixture and pour into a pan. Top with some grated cheese, and pop into the oven. In 35 minutes, dinner is done!

Another thing I love about the recipe is that it seems to be a family favorite for people who eat low-carb as well as people who don’t . Kids even seem to love this one!


It’s from Carolyn Ketchum’s new book, Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen. Although I don’t follow a ketogenic diet, I loved this dish. Crustless low carb taco pie is an easy, tasty, and satisfying main course.

Now, if you’re anything like me, the word “ketogenic” is not in your everyday vocabulary. Simply put, ketogenic or keto means low-carb, high-fat, with adequate protein. Carolyn follows a keto diet because she has diabetes. But she makes a convincing case that her diet is a healthy one for many other reasons.

I don’t have diabetes and don’t plan to go on a keto diet anytime soon. So why am I writing about Carolyn, her book, and this recipe? (Carolyn’s publisher sent me a copy of the book without charge, but the content of this post is entirely mine.)


I was curious about the book for two reasons. First, because I’ve admired Carolyn for a long time. Second, my maternal grandmother had diabetes and my internist told me that I have pre-diabetic tendencies. (My mom also has pre-diabetic tendencies.) Although I’m hopeful that I won’t develop diabetes, I wanted to see how I could manage to enjoy food if I ever do become diabetic.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 2 Tbs. taco seasoning
  • 4 scallions, green parts only sliced
  • 1/3 cup salsa
  • 2 oz. can sliced black olives drained
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Alma Creamery Longhorn Co-Jack Cheese
  • 6 eggs large
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9" pie pan with non-stick spray.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat a large greased skillet over medium high heat; when the skillet is nicely hot, add ground beef, crumbling it with a spatula as it cooks, stirring often until browned and no pink remains. Drain all fats from skillet; stir in taco seasoning and reserve.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together with heavy cream. Stir in the scallions, salsa, olives, 1 cup of the cheese, and the salt and pepper; stir in the reserved taco meat. Pour this mixture into the prepared pie pan, the. sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
  4. Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the tack pie is set st the center. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
  5. Serve with your favorite toppings such as salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOFT-BAKED CHRISTMAS SPRINKLE COOKIES

GINGER GARLIC NOODLE SOUP WITH BOK CHOY

NUTELLA MUG CAKE